? ??????????????Green Fumes? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (215 Ratings)??18 Grabs Today. 61258 Total Grabs. ???
???Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Pop Your Bubble? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.0 (3 Ratings)??12 Grabs Today. 2961 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????Jordan BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, October 10, 2011

For the love of Texas

I love Texas. I really do. I lived there for two years. Enjoyed most of the time I spent there. All but the job part, that kinda sucked. And I lived in West Texas, which can be considered a whole other planet from East Texas. But it's Texas, there are awesome things there, and some awesome people. I love how they talk, I like to talk to my Texan friends, just so I have an excuse to talk like them again. If I could get away with it, I'd probably talk like that all the time. But I digress. My real reason for ranting today, has to do with....., yep you guessed it, Texas. Sometimes I think they think they are too big for their own damn britches.
So what's the drama you ask with Texas, well, let me fill you in.
There is a new federal rule dealing with interstate air pollution. It's so that states that don't have manufacturing, electricty plants, etc, don't have to pay for the states that do by suffering from acid rain, decreased air quality, and a host of other air quality issues. Make sense? I'll give you an example. If a company is on the east side of Texas (since we are talking about them) and they produce a large amount of emissions because they are providing electricity for the entire eastern half of the state, the stuff coming out of their smoke stacks is most likely being blown into Loisiana, Alabama, and maybe even farthr east. Understand now? Anyway, they EPA is trying to enforce a new rule regarding this situation, and one of their targets is Texas. And let me tell you why.
The Clean Air Act was revised in 1990 to add interstate trading programs to decrease emissions nationwide. In case you don't know what happens in trading, one company cleans up their emissions better than what is required and then sells their "extra" emssions that they are allowed. The big polluters that can't reduce their emissions as quickly (or because they don't want to) can buy up the "extra" emissions and pollute up to that amount. Anyway, back to the topic. Since 1990 sulfur dioxide emissions (main component in acid rain) has decreased  by 70% in the Eastern US, Texas emissions fell by .1%.  3 of the 11 highest sulfur emitting plants in the US are in...you guessed it, Texas. And all of them are owned by the same company, Luminant. Hmmmm, wonder who's palms are getting greased.
Now the EPA is forcing the issue with Texas, and Texas, being the big headed people that they can be, are pushing back. (Ridiculous in my opinion, just shut up and do what your told) They are threatening to shutter 2 plants and 3 mines, laying off 500 people in reponse to the demand to meet emissions standards. My big question is, You've had since 1990 to fix your stuff!!!! Why are you mad about it now? Don't you think it would have been a little cheaper if you had been working on it this entire time. And I'm guessing that back in 1995 say (give them 5 years to get their act together) it would have been A LOT cheaper than it is now to get some control on your emissions? As my gram would say," you have no one to blame but yourself."
And the news gets even better. Supposedly these two plants have air scrubbers that aren't running. huh-wha? They aren't running, and you're making a stink about having to decrease emissions. AND the EPA has said that they would offer more allowances for the company until they can get their emissions down.
I don't know if you've ever been through a Texas summer, but without air conditioning, oy it's hot! The threat to close the 2 plants would probably cause rolling blackouts within the state during the summer. Oh, yeah, that would not be fun. So the Texans, specifically Luminant, which is owned by Energy Furutre Holdings Corp. are holding that over the EPA's head.
I say, why don't you SUCK IT UP! You've waited this long to get your stinking act together and now your WHINING cause someone is making you do what you should have done 10 years ago. Get over it. It's your own damn fault.
I guess in reality this applies to all big companies that try to get away with stuff, but since Texas is the last hold out, the state fets some credit too. I'm guessing Old George W. probably had something to do wtih them not getting their emissions down, but that might be just cause I don't like him, and blame him for lots of stuff :)

0 comments: